How to Clear the Cache on your Mobile Phone
Category: Mobile tech
The cache is a really powerful tool that your browsers use to improve your experience using the internet. It means that if you visit a webpage regularly, instead of downloading the page content again, your browser can load some of the website data from its "cache".
This saves your browsing data when you're connected from a mobile phone and also makes the page appear to load faster.
However, browser caches can cause problems when websites are updated. The data in your browsers cache might not be the latest data on the website. This can lead to some functionality appearing not to work, even though it's fine when one of your friends or colleagues visits the same website.
For this reason, it can be useful to clear your browser's cache when you find you're having problems with a website that you use regularly. Below are some instructions on how to do this.
For Android / Chrome:
- Open up your internet browser (the app you use which displays google).
- In the top right hand side of the screen, you will see three dots.(just to the right of where you see “www.google.com” )
- Click these three dots.
- A dropdown will appear, in that dropdown will be a “settings” button
- Click the settings button
- This will open a new page. On this page there will be a “Prviacy” button.
- Click the privacy button
- This will open a new page called “Privacy”.
- At the bottom of the new page, there should be a button which says “clear browsing data”
- Click on the “clear browsing data” button.
- A popup will appear
- Make sure you tick the tickbox next to “Cache” and “Cookies, site data”.
- Uncheck the other boxes (these other boxes store saved passwords and addresses etc etc that you might find useful)
- At the bottom of the “Clear browsing data” popup (below the checkboxes) there is a button which says “clear”
- Press the “clear” button.
For iPhone / Safari:
- Go to Settings on your iPhone
- Select “Safari”
- Select “Advanced”
- Select “Website Data”
- Select “Remove all Website Data”